[Dixielandjazz] Tubist MIke Walbridge

JimDBB@aol.com JimDBB@aol.com
Wed, 27 Nov 2002 09:31:57 EST

--part1_6c.2651c6b1.2b16315d_boundary

In a message dated 11/27/02 5:39:36 AM Central Standard Time,
dingle@baldwin-net.com writes:

> Oh, hell...(slap hard on the forehead)...dumb old idiot me.How could I not
> mention my good friend and long time tuba man Mike Wallbridge of the Salty
> Dogs?
> Now there's one hell of a player, and one guy who can make the big horn
> sound almost like an arco on string bass at times when called on to play
> things gently and tasty rather than oomp-pa polka-ish. Put Mike down on the
> list as one of the best there is on the big bass horn.
> Don Ingle

   I will second this about MIke Walbridge.  One of the best and by the way,
Don, MIke plays a very nice swinging trumpet as well.  Mike is no only a fine
ensemble player he is an excellent soloist as well.  I worked a lot with him
in the Salty Dogs years ago and I regret that I didn't work with him much in
more recent years.  I had some fun playing in his Footwarmers, a larger
ensemble that plays classic old charts.  One great gig we had years back at
the Racoon Club in Chicago.  We were in Tuxes and Jackie Gleason came in the
place and MIke got him to direct one number.

   MIke Walbridge gets my vote anytime.

   Jim Beebe

--part1_6c.2651c6b1.2b16315d_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2>In a message dated 11/27/02 5:39:36 AM Central Standard Time, dingle@baldwin-net.com writes:<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">Oh, hell...(slap hard on the forehead)...dumb old idiot me.How could I not<BR>
mention my good friend and long time tuba man Mike Wallbridge of the Salty<BR>
Dogs?<BR>
Now there's one hell of a player, and one guy who can make the big horn<BR>
sound almost like an arco on string bass at times when called on to play<BR>
things gently and tasty rather than oomp-pa polka-ish. Put Mike down on the<BR>
list as one of the best there is on the big bass horn.<BR>
Don Ingle<BR>
</BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp; I will second this about MIke Walbridge.&nbsp; One of the best and by the way, Don, MIke plays a very nice swinging trumpet as well.&nbsp; Mike is no only a fine ensemble player he is an excellent soloist as well.&nbsp; I worked a lot with him in the Salty Dogs years ago and I regret that I didn't work with him much in more recent years.&nbsp; I had some fun playing in his Footwarmers, a larger ensemble that plays classic old charts.&nbsp; One great gig we had years back at the Racoon Club in Chicago.&nbsp; We were in Tuxes and Jackie Gleason came in the place and MIke got him to direct one number.<BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp; MIke Walbridge gets my vote anytime.<BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp; Jim Beebe<BR>
</FONT></HTML>
--part1_6c.2651c6b1.2b16315d_boundary--