[Dixielandjazz] Re: Dixielandjazz digest, Vol 1 #342 - 20 msgs

DWSI@aol.com DWSI@aol.com
Wed, 27 Nov 2002 08:17:23 EST

--part1_1a8.ca729da.2b161fe3_boundary

In a message dated 11/26/2002 8:18:44 PM Eastern Standard Time,
dixielandjazz-request@ml.islandnet.com writes:

> At 11:34 26-11-02, Vilcad \(Ron Gable\) wrote:

> &nbsp;
>
> I think the Internet is definitely changing the way
> music will be distributed.&nbsp; I'm just not smart enough to know if it
> will help or hurt OKOM.&nbsp; It appears to me that more people are going
> to live jazz events because the record industry is not putting out much
> new in the way of jazz.&nbsp; Of course this could be wishful thinking on
> my part but other changes in the past have had an effect on fans going
> for live music versus staying home to listen.&nbsp; As long as people
> like us push and promote jazz, it will surface in one form or
> another.
>
> &nbsp;
>
> Ron &amp; Rosemary Gable
>
> Jazz Advocates &amp; Jazz
>
> Writer for Impact Weekly
>
> 10790 W. National Road
>
> Brookville, Ohio 45309

Dan Spink replies:

In case some of the younger members of DJML may not know this, (as us older
ones do), many big bands avoided recording completely in the earliest days of
Dixieland. I think, King Oliver was one of these, although he may have
relented later in his career to do recordings. The reason was simple: If they
recorded their gigs then anybody could copy them. The way to avoid that was
to never record. Interesting how it gets turned around and inside out.

Dan (piano fingers) Spink

--part1_1a8.ca729da.2b161fe3_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><BODY BGCOLOR="#3dffff"><FONT  SIZE=2>In a message dated 11/26/2002 8:18:44 PM Eastern Standard Time, dixielandjazz-request@ml.islandnet.com writes:<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">At 11:34 26-11-02, Vilcad \(Ron Gable\) wrote:<BR>
<BR>
&lt;blockquote type=cite class=cite cite&gt;Jim,<BR>
<BR>
&amp;nbsp;<BR>
<BR>
I think the Internet is definitely changing the way<BR>
music will be distributed.&amp;nbsp; I'm just not smart enough to know if it<BR>
will help or hurt OKOM.&amp;nbsp; It appears to me that more people are going<BR>
to live jazz events because the record industry is not putting out much<BR>
new in the way of jazz.&amp;nbsp; Of course this could be wishful thinking on<BR>
my part but other changes in the past have had an effect on fans going<BR>
for live music versus staying home to listen.&amp;nbsp; As long as people<BR>
like us push and promote jazz, it will surface in one form or<BR>
another.<BR>
<BR>
&amp;nbsp;<BR>
<BR>
Ron &amp;amp; Rosemary Gable<BR>
<BR>
Jazz Advocates &amp;amp; Jazz <BR>
<BR>
Writer for Impact Weekly<BR>
<BR>
10790 W. National Road<BR>
<BR>
Brookville, Ohio 45309<BR>
</BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
<BR>
Dan Spink replies:<BR>
<BR>
In case some of the younger members of DJML may not know this, (as us older ones do), many big bands avoided recording completely in the earliest days of Dixieland. I think, King Oliver was one of these, although he may have relented later in his career to do recordings. The reason was simple: If they recorded their gigs then anybody could copy them. The way to avoid that was to never record. Interesting how it gets turned around and inside out.<BR>
<BR>
Dan (piano fingers) Spink </FONT></HTML>

--part1_1a8.ca729da.2b161fe3_boundary--