[Dixielandjazz] Who to leave my recordings to?

fred spencer drjz@bealenet.com
Tue, 26 Nov 2002 16:25:11 -0500

--------------C24E70FBC3C26A8C04F9B9D8

Dan et al.,
The International Association of Jazz Record Collectors (IAJRC) published a
Monograph 1 in 1990 entitled Assessing, Insuring, and Disposing of Jazz
Record Collections. It can be ordered from Charles H. Waters, 8809 Echo
Valley, Houston, TX 77055, USA or David Griffiths, Featherslade Close,
Langland, Swansea SA3 4HP, Wales. Prices vary with membership. currency, and
location. The IAJRC is a wonderful resource for collectors, with its
excellent Journal four times a year. For more information go to Google --
IAJRC. Cheers.
Fred
Dan Augustine wrote:

> Folks--
>      Intimations of mortality: just wondering what i'm going to do
> with all my recordings when i die (hopefully not for a couple of
> decades yet).  I don't have very many, compared with some/most of
> you, but still. Guess i could just will them to my brother's kids
> (i'm single), but they don't know anything about this kind of music,
> probably don't like it.
>      The other option is to give them to a university music school--in
> my case, either University of Nevada at Reno, or here at UT Austin.
>      But wouldn't it be nice with there were other options?  What
> about giving my collection to an American Dixieland Library (not yet
> created), along with other folks' collections, so that a great
> incredible history of recorded OKOM would be available for fans,
> kids, scholars, musicians.  Digitize them for posterity.
>      Or, if that's not possible, how about donating them somewhere,
> but then creating a world-wide database of dixieland collections at
> libraries and such from all over the world.  That might be even
> better.
>      I just hate to see libraries and music schools get these great
> recordings and not care about them and not use them and make them
> available, nor have any way for fans and scholars to know they're
> available.
>      Just pre-midnight lucubrations and nattering on....
>
> Dan
> --

--------------C24E70FBC3C26A8C04F9B9D8

Dan et al.,
of Jazz Record Collections.</i> It can be ordered from Charles H. Waters,
8809 Echo Valley, Houston, TX 77055, USA or David Griffiths, Featherslade
Close, Langland, Swansea SA3 4HP, Wales. Prices vary with membership. currency,
and location. The IAJRC is a wonderful resource for collectors, with its
excellent <i>Journal</i> four times a year. For more information go to
Google -- IAJRC. Cheers.
i'm going to do
of
music school--in