[Dixielandjazz] Who to leave my recordings to?

Norrie Thomson jnt@nosmoth.fsnet.co.uk
Tue, 26 Nov 2002 09:26:40 -0000

Hi Listmates

Dan Augustine has raised an interesting subject, one that I have been
thinking about for some time.

I have a fairly extensive collection - approx 5000 x LPs; 200 x EPs;  600
x78s ; 1000 x CDs; boxes of commercially issued tapes and about 600 x
privately recorded tapes.

The problem with leaving them to public libraries is that there probably
wouldn't be sufficient public funds to maintain large collections
Similarly, to set up a dedicated jazz library would also require
considerable funds.

I have written a codicil to my will nominating a small group of friends to
have first pick of recordings and books. Whatever remains have to be sold to
specific jazz dealers.  That way, although the collection will be broken up,
the eventual buyers will be OKOM fans.

I was recently contacted by a firm of auctioneers to value a jazz record
collection which had been the property of a deceased local musician - Jack
Duff.  The collection consisted of about 1200 LPs.  Most were run of the
mill stuff but some were of considerable value. The most valubale items I
advised should be sold to jazz record dealers, the rest sold by auction. The
LPs sold by auction were in bundles of 12 x LPs. The average winning bids
were £10 ($15).  It pained me to see what a lifetime's collecting was
reduced to. Having said this, there was a bundle of Sandy Brown LPs (13) and
EPs (4) that I managed to get for £45.  The book value was in excess of
£450.

Just a few thoughts on a difficult but relevant topic as I'm sure that many
of us on the DJML are getting to the stage when we've got to be pragmatic
about what we have and how to dispose of it.

Norrie

Norrie Thomson
Edinburgh
Scotland