[Dixielandjazz] Re: Favorite Tuba-Solo

Bob Romans cellblk7@attbi.com
Mon, 25 Nov 2002 07:14:00 -0600

Has anyone heard Sam Pilofian's tuba solos? Not too shabby at all!!
Bob Romans
Cell Block 7
Jazz Band
1617 Lakeshore Dr.,
Lodi, California, 95242
Phone.....209-368-3255
Cell...209-747-1148
Fax...209-368-3255
WebPages..click below
www.cellblockseven2002.net
-----Original Message-----
From: Dan Augustine <ds.augustine@mail.utexas.edu>
Date: Monday, November 25, 2002 8:48 AM
Subject: [Dixielandjazz] Re: Favorite Tuba-Solo

>>From: "paolo d'amore" <flicorno@tiscali.it>
>>Subject: Re: [Dixielandjazz] FINAL. THE COMPLETE LIST OF BEST-FAVORITES of
DJML
>>Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 13:17:14 +0100
>>
>>sorry listmates,
>>but i cannot find your tuba favourite solo.  :)
>>
>>paolo "boycott double bass" d'amore
>**-----------------------------------------------------------------**
>Paolo and others--
>    I'm glad you asked this question, because i'm going to have to try to
answer it.  Unfortunately, i get to mention only one solo.
>    Off the top of my head (not sure how you would translate that to
Italian, sorry), and away from my recordings (i'm ostensibly at work), i'd
have to go with Rich Matteson's helicon-solo on "Avalon" with Louis
Armstrong and the Dukes of Dixieland.  If you'd like to hear this song in
its entirety on the web, go to http://user.icx.net/~bcassady/music.html#ld
and click on "Avalon":

>"Selection Two: "Louis' trumpet playing on Avalon is superb. There is his
perfectly organized solo (during which Frankie Assunto watched him, as if in
a trance, with a dazed smile on his face)." The tuba (actually a helicon)
solo by Rich Matteson is unbelievable! And Louis - belying his age - takes
the final rideout up an octave - something he learned in Chicago while on a
break from playing. It seems that everyone else was ignoring the second
band, but Louis listened to their trumpet player, who rode the final chorus
up an octave. Louis started doing it, and it became one of his trademarks.
>Listen to Avalon (Real Audio)"
>
>    Dan
>
>P. S. I'm not going to mention the other fine solos by Dave Gannett, Dan
Marcus, Westy Westenhoffer, Lowell Miller, Country Washburne, and numerous
others.  (This is an example of using the word 'apophasis' ("mentioning
something by saying it won't be mentioned:  We won't mention his filthy
habits.", cf. _Mrs. Byrne's Dictionary_.)