[Dixielandjazz] Re: YardBird

Randy Fendrick jfendrick@bak.rr.com
Wed, 13 Nov 2002 21:24:19 -0800

on 11/13/02 7:31 PM, Bill Haesler at bhaesler@nsw.bigpond.net.au wrote:

> Dear Steve,
> Regarding: >Can anyone confirm when, if ever, Bird was in jail? How long?
> etc.<
> He was confined to hospital care for a drug/alcohol-related breakdown in 1946.
> Also had his NY cabaret licence revoked by the drug squad in 1951 (for several
> years).
> But no jail (gaol), to my knowledge.
> Lester Young was court marshalled for drugs and spent time in military
> detention
> in 1945.
> Maybe someone has confused the stories.
> It is always wise to squash rumours before they catch on.
> Well done in raising it.
> Kind regards,
> Bill.

What do you think Camerillo was?  It's what was called a hospital but in
reality was jail.  That facility has now  been turned over to the California
State University system and made into our latest University.  Otherwise
known as California State University, Channel Islands.  So I guess the
revisionists will say that Bird didn't go to jail he actually went to
college.
Whats too bad about this discussion is that Bird, along with many jazz
musicians, was convicted of what some people call victimless crimes, in
other words, what they did to themselves.  In those days, along with today,
the person who is actually the victim is in reality the perpetractor, and
our putting them in jail does nothing but to continue the injustice.
Louis was a heavy user of marijuana, as were many, many, many other jazz
musicians, but their use of these substances does not take away from the
contributions that they made to our craft (kind of music!)
later,

-Randy Fendrick-
Bakersfield Symphony Orchestra
Southside Chicago Seven