[Dixielandjazz] Pete Daily and His Chicagoans

Burt Wilson futurecon@earthlink.net
Tue, 5 Nov 2002 23:59:08 -0800

You overlooked a real goodie, Dan! I went to the 78rpm site you suggested
and down a few inches from the Pete Daily record was lo! the Frisco Jazz
Band playing "Jazz Me Blues." This is one of the first records I ever
purchased--along about 1949--in Sacramento. On the Pacific Lable. This was a
really good band with Red "Jazz" Gillham on trumpet, Jack Crook on reeds,
(Crook later played with the Capitol City Jazz Band in Sacramento and Turk
in SF. Jack Buck, Scobey's trombone player is on it as is Russ Bennett who
played banjo for Lu Watters but plays guitar here.

I hope some day they do the other side of the record which is a vocal by
Clancy Hayes on a little -known tune he wrote called "Gettin' My Boots."

What a find! Thanks!

Burt Wilson
trombone
Silver Dollar Jazz Band