[Dixielandjazz] Pete Daily and His Chicagoans

JimDBB@aol.com JimDBB@aol.com
Tue, 5 Nov 2002 23:09:35 EST

--part1_ea.30b47eb2.2af9efff_boundary

In a message dated 11/5/02 9:40:23 PM Central Standard Time,
ds.augustine@mail.utexas.edu writes:

>      Hmm, wot's this?  Pete Daily's Chicagoans playing "South".  Never
> heard of him, but how could anybody from Chicago be bad, hmm?
> Download it and discover that it's Great!  Especially the tuba
> player!  Wonderful tuba solo.  How come i've never heard of this guy
> or his band before (well, other than the fact that i'm stupid and
> ignorant, that is)?  And who the hell is the tuba player?
>      I want to buy CDs, records, or cassettes of this band, but do i
> find any at the usual places, no!  However, GEMM (www.gemm.com) does

  Hats off, Dan to discovering the inimitable Pete Daily. One of my all time
favorites.
  Pete's classic recording of "South" on Capitol records became a mini-hit on
juke boxes around the country and helped usher in the Dixieland Jazz revival.
 He had a terrific band with the great Warren Smith on trombone...some body
fill in the rest of who was in that band.

  Capital records the late 40s began putting out lots of great Dixieland
records on 78s with Pete Daily, Sharkey Bonano, Red Nichols, Pee Wee Hunt,
Wingy Manone and others. Another gem by Pete ws" I Want to Linger."  And my
favorite, "When the war breaks out in Mexico, I'm going to Montreal."  Pete
worked mainly in the LA southern  California area.

  None of these gems have been reissued so you'll have to hit on collectors.
You might try the Jazz Record Mart in Chicago. They have a lot of used
records and lots of 78s.  their phone # is 1-800-684-3480 or 773-539-5001
Ask for their collectors dept.

Incidentally, Bob Scobey about the same time had a great record of 'South"
with a wonderful vocal with Clancy Hayes.  This is on the Good Time Jazz
label and has been reissued on CD.. Try  www.Worldsrecords.com

Hopefully, one day, Capitol Records will release or reissue those great
recordings from that period.

Jim Beebe

--part1_ea.30b47eb2.2af9efff_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2>In a message dated 11/5/02 9:40:23 PM Central Standard Time, ds.augustine@mail.utexas.edu writes:<BR>
<BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px"><BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Hmm, wot's this?&nbsp; Pete Daily's Chicagoans playing "South".&nbsp; Never <BR>
heard of him, but how could anybody from Chicago be bad, hmm? <BR>
Download it and discover that it's Great!&nbsp; Especially the tuba <BR>
player!&nbsp; Wonderful tuba solo.&nbsp; How come i've never heard of this guy <BR>
or his band before (well, other than the fact that i'm stupid and <BR>
ignorant, that is)?&nbsp; And who the hell is the tuba player?<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; I want to buy CDs, records, or cassettes of this band, but do i <BR>
find any at the usual places, no!&nbsp; However, GEMM (www.gemm.com) does </BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
<BR>
&nbsp; Hats off, Dan to discovering the inimitable Pete Daily. One of my all time favorites.<BR>
&nbsp; Pete's classic recording of "South" on Capitol records became a mini-hit on juke boxes around the country and helped usher in the Dixieland Jazz revival.&nbsp; He had a terrific band with the great Warren Smith on trombone...some body fill in the rest of who was in that band.<BR>
<BR>
&nbsp; Capital records the late 40s began putting out lots of great Dixieland records on 78s with Pete Daily, Sharkey Bonano, Red Nichols, Pee Wee Hunt, Wingy Manone and others. Another gem by Pete ws" I Want to Linger."&nbsp; And my favorite, "When the war breaks out in Mexico, I'm going to Montreal."&nbsp; Pete worked mainly in the LA southern&nbsp; California area.<BR>
<BR>
&nbsp; None of these gems have been reissued so you'll have to hit on collectors.&nbsp; You might try the Jazz Record Mart in Chicago. They have a lot of used records and lots of 78s.&nbsp; their phone # is 1-800-684-3480 or 773-539-5001&nbsp; Ask for their collectors dept.<BR>
<BR>
Incidentally, Bob Scobey about the same time had a great record of 'South" with a wonderful vocal with Clancy Hayes.&nbsp; This is on the Good Time Jazz label and has been reissued on CD.. Try&nbsp; www.Worldsrecords.com<BR>
<BR>
Hopefully, one day, Capitol Records will release or reissue those great recordings from that period.<BR>
<BR>
Jim Beebe</FONT></HTML>

--part1_ea.30b47eb2.2af9efff_boundary--