[Dixielandjazz] Pete Daily and His Chicagoans

Robert S. Ringwald ringwald@calweb.com
Tue, 5 Nov 2002 20:27:07 -0800

 Subject: Re: [Dixielandjazz] Pete Daily and His Chicagoans

> In a message dated 11/5/02 9:40:23 PM Central Standard Time,
> ds.augustine@mail.utexas.edu writes:
>

> >      Hmm, wot's this?  Pete Daily's Chicagoans playing "South".  Never
> > heard of him, but how could anybody from Chicago be bad, hmm?

 Dan, you never heard of Pete Daily?

Pete introduced me around to some of the musicians in the Los Angeles area
when I first moved there in 1979.  I played some gigs with him also.

He had a stroke in approximately 1981 or '82 & was confined to a wheelchair
for several years before his passing.  I played with him on his last gig.
His fingers on his right hand were numb & he had to use his left hand.  That
was the sign that the stroke was coming on.

There is a legendary story about Pete when he was working in Hollywood in
the 50s when there were 7 or 8 clubs all using (our kind of Jazz) within 7
or 8 blocks.  Pete used to play "When the Saints Come Marchin' In" & march
around the place, out into the parking lot & into another club & back.  One
night he marched out the front door & didn't come back for 3 weeks.  As you
may imagine, Pete did have a bit of a drinking problem.

He recorded the song "North".  It was similar to "South" but with all the
phrases turned & played backwards.

Bob
mr.wonderful@ringwald.com
Placerville, CA