[Dixielandjazz] Pete Daily and His Chicagoans

Burt Wilson futurecon@earthlink.net
Tue, 5 Nov 2002 22:18:26 -0800

For the complete Pete Daily fan you should get "South" and also "North"
(Pete had a sense of humor). Also, "I want to linger" is a famous Daily side
as is the suggestive "She looks like Helen Brown."  And I will always love
Pete for recording "When the War Breaks out in Mexico" (I'm a-gonna go to
Montreal). Here in California we have long spoken of the ending with two
beats on a cow bell and a three-note tag as a "Pete Daily ending."

I played with Pete a few times at sessions in Venice, CA before he passed
away. He used to play at a place called "The Astor" in the San Fernando
Valley in the 50's. He had Rosy McHargue on clarinet, Warran Smith on
trombone. I believe it was Skippy Anderson on piano. Don't recall the drums
or bass/tuba.

Pete had one of the best trumpet tones on anyone. A very positive, sharp
attack. Then well complimented his great feeling for jazz music.

Burt Wilson
trombone
The Silver Dollar Jazz Band