[Dixielandjazz] Pete Daily and His Chicagoans

Dan Augustine ds.augustine@mail.utexas.edu
Tue, 5 Nov 2002 21:41:11 -0600

Folks--
     Well, here i am, poking into stray corners of the internet,
looking for stuff on Lu Watters, when i find this site called
Martin's 78 Turntable 1940's Jazz Revival (at
http://martins78turntable.dns2go.com/40s_jazz/40s_jazz.html ).
     Hum, say i, it has a couple samples of the Yerba Buena band, how
nice, but i already have them.  What else does he have?  Hmm, about
20 different bands, including an old Firehouse Five Plus Two song,
"Blues My Naughty Sweetie Gives to Me", in MP3-format.  Believe i'll
give it a listen.
     So i click on it and discover that it's downloading the ENTIRE
song, 480K, for me, which i can save onto my hard drive.  Bully, say
i.  What a find.  Wonder what else it has?
     Hmm, wot's this?  Pete Daily's Chicagoans playing "South".  Never
heard of him, but how could anybody from Chicago be bad, hmm?
Download it and discover that it's Great!  Especially the tuba
player!  Wonderful tuba solo.  How come i've never heard of this guy
or his band before (well, other than the fact that i'm stupid and
ignorant, that is)?  And who the hell is the tuba player?
     I want to buy CDs, records, or cassettes of this band, but do i
find any at the usual places, no!  However, GEMM (www.gemm.com) does
have a number of his recordings, some way overpriced (for me).  But
which one should i order?
     Hmm.  Why don't i ask DJML?  They know everything, and what they
don't know, i know.
     So.  How about it?

Dan
--
**  Dan Augustine     Austin, Texas     ds.augustine@mail.utexas.edu  **
**                "'Shut up,' he explained."                          **