[Dixielandjazz] Re: George Buck, Jazzology and Preacher Rollo; Marie Marcus

Dan Augustine ds.augustine@mail.utexas.edu
Sat, 2 Nov 2002 12:26:56 -0600

>From: Will Connelly <willc@nova.edu>
>Subject: [Dixielandjazz] George Buck, Jazzology and Preacher Rollo
>Date: Sat, 02 Nov 2002 12:46:17 -0500
>
>Not too long ago, there was a lot of discussion about Preacher Rollo's
>Saints and Bill Haesler chimed in with the information that he had an
>out of print Jazzology CD - JCD-51 - of the band.
><snip>
>The whole thing is air shots off the old Mutual radio network from back
>in the '50s when Rollo did a nationally broadcast show each week. The
>band was Rollo on drums, Tommy Justice, clarinetist Tony Parenti,
>trombonist Jerry Gorman , Marie Marcus on piano and Al Mattucci on bass.
>These players were uniformly superior players and all, in their
>thirties, were at the top of their form.
><snip>
>Kindly,
>Will Connelly
Will and others--
     In the November issue of _The Mississippi Rag_ (page 15, in
Yankee Jazz Beat by George A. Borgman) there's a notice about Marie
Marcus:

      "Marie Marcus, 88, after a 70-year career in the music business,
    has decided to retire, so, on Sept. 18, a cable TV crew went to
    her apartment in Dennisport, Cape Cod, to tape a half-hour program
    of Marcus playing piano, accompanied by bassist Ron Ormsby and
    drummer Dave Sager.  Marcus is currently working on her memoirs.
      "Marcus, who enjoyed reading about Lionel Hampton in last month's
    RAG, tells me that in New York City in the 1930s, while she played
    piano at the Swing Club on 52nd Street, Hampton came up to the
    piano and told her, 'You play the lower part, and I'll play the
    treble with two fingers.'  Marcus said it was just like he was
    playing the vibes with two mallets."

Dan
--
**  Dan Augustine     Austin, Texas     ds.augustine@mail.utexas.edu  **
**       "Now, everyone look like you're having fun. Only don't."     **