[Dixielandjazz] Stephane Grappelli DVD

David W. Littlefield dwlit@cpcug.org
Sat, 02 Nov 2002 17:00:29 -0500

>From another mailing list:

"The BEST Jazz DVD of 2002 (and the years not over yet!) -  By chance I
heard of a new video documentary on jazz violinist Stephane Grappelli a few
months ago. I was literally blown away when I popped the first of the two
DVD discs in my player. British producer Judy Caine and Director Paul Balmer
literally mortgaged their house to fund the project to document the life of
Grappelli, which spanned near all of the 20th century. As he was nearing 90,
Grappelli agreed to sit for an extensive interview in his Paris home and
Balmer shot for 3 consecutive days. Since Grappelli was already playing, and
a member of the musicians union, by age 15 (1923) and played until just
before his death, his life spanned the history of jazz. Okay, the 2-hour
documentary, Stephane Grappelli: A Life in the Jazz Century which was
picked up by the BBC for broadcast is full of wonderful performance
footage and interviews with folks like Yehudi Menuhin and new-wave violinist
Nigel Kennedy, but the extras on this set are the real gems. There are seven
rare music videos including Grappelli in a 1920s music hall setting, a
previously lost 1948 film of Grappelli with George Shearing, the rarest
footage of Grappelli with his partner Django Reinhardt, and various
outtakes. Add to this a music video juke box, the fascinating story of how
the film was made, and a snapshot gallery of Grappelli private photo
collection (he had over 1500!) and there are almost four hours of great
material here. To my knowledge the DVD , which is available in NTSC format
to play on US televisions, is not distributed yet in the US. But you can
order direct from the Producer via the internet at www.musiconearth.co.uk.
If you love classic jazz, you really need this set. If you know someone else
who does, order one for a holiday gift. I can safely say, you wont be
disappointed."

Someone added that they'd ordered it on-line and received it in the US
within 10 days, and just loved it.

--Sheik