[Dixielandjazz] set times

David Richoux dixielandjazz@ml.islandnet.com
Fri, 31 May 2002 11:16:40 -0700

James Kashishian wrote:

> Most clubs & restaurants we play in require two sets.  We do 45 min with
> 1/2 hr. in between.
> One club requires 3 sets (up to 3am), but we cheat a lot on the last
> set, & end up at 2:45!  It's a habit left over from the 1960's, and the
> boss knows it's a sore spot.

yeah, but that is Spain where almost nothing really starts to happen before 10pm!
(we found that out on a trip to Madrid a few years back...)

For "And That's Jazz" on a regular week night restaurant gig we tend towards a 45 -
60 minute first set (at a 7:30pm start time), a 20 minute break, another 45-60 set,
a 10 break and wrap things up with a short set - 30 to 45 minutes. Our audience is
usually reduced a bit by the last set, but it is an "older" crowd.

My biggest problem with many festival schedules is when the half hour between sets
is supposed to include a break-down, move to another part of town, set-up, and start
again - in heavy festival traffic! If we are lucky they remember to give us a
"extra-long" 45 minute break sometime in the afternoon for food and "necessities..."

Dave Richoux