[Dixielandjazz] set times

James Kashishian dixielandjazz@ml.islandnet.com
Fri, 31 May 2002 18:47:09 +0200

Although I've mainly been reading about set times for festivals recently
on DJML, I'll add what we do for clubs & concerts.

Most clubs & restaurants we play in require two sets.  We do 45 min with
1/2 hr. in between.
One club requires 3 sets (up to 3am), but we cheat a lot on the last
set, & end up at 2:45!  It's a habit left over from the 1960's, and the
boss knows it's a sore spot.

For concerts we now prefer one sitting of approx. 1 hr & 20 min, ending
at 1 & 1/2 hrs with maybe two encores (*).  Two split the concert up a
bit, and give a kind of rest to the ears, we do a song with the bone &
rhythm, followed by the trumpet & rhythm, followed by a tune with the
rhythm section alone.  This gives me a chance to introduce the members
of the band, and to give the rhythm section the spotlight the deserve.
This setup works well for us, and we've had nice mention in the press
about it, even.

By the way, we are extremely punctual, something that is not much the
norm in Spain.  We have earned the reputation for being serious in our
dealings, and club owners are happy to have us, as they don't need to
have someone there to "watch over" the band.  Same for concerts.

(*)  We bend to one encore, and a second will normally be a dedication
to the memory of Duke Ellington with his Mood Indigo....two choruses
only, very slow, very quiet.  Usually gives the audience the idea that
we've done what we're gonna do for the nite!   :>
This is followed by an announcement that "you can take us home with you
& listen to us in bed even, if you buy our CD's now!"

Jim