[Dixielandjazz] Re: Bob Kerr. Was: No dirge for England--not quite yet

Bill Gunter dixielandjazz@ml.islandnet.com
Fri, 31 May 2002 17:28:34 +0000

Hi John Farrell,

Your mention of Bob Kerr's Whoopie Band brought back fond memories of the
Edinburgh Festival. The first time I went there was to work with Mike Hart
as a volunteer. I was publicity director of the Sacramento Jazz Jubilee at
the time and got to know Mike along the way. Anyway, I believe it was around
1985 or so that the Whoopie guys played the Edinburgh affair.

You may have been with the band at the time. I recall that in the big jazz
parade up Princes Street I rode on the same float with the Whoopie band with
some cute flapper ladies and we danced on the moving float as we wound our
way up to Haymarket Square.

I remember on bit of schtick Bob did. He jammed his mouthpiece into a small
metal teapot and, using the lid as a wah-wah mute, played a very credible
blues chorus.

It was a wonderful band  but I would hate to have to haul around  all of the
props  Kerr used in putting on a performance. Incredible!  How did he manage
that?

Respectfully submitted,

Bill "Love Edinburgh" Gunter
jazzboard@hotmail.com