[Dixielandjazz] Not okom - US Supreme Court on marching band dangers

David Richoux tubaman@wombat.net
Fri, 28 Jun 2002 11:36:48 -0700

> Tim Eldred wrote:

snip

> colliding tubas disturbing the peace and quiet of Tecumseh, the great majority
> of students the School District seeks to test in truth are engaged in activities
> that are not safety sensitive to an unusual degree.

If you don't believe him, look at:
http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/scripts/getcase.pl?navby=search&court=US&case=/us/000/01%2D332.html

look about half way down to Section One of the opinion by Justice Ginsburg

(and I think this is somewhat ON topic as many of us had high school band
experience, or maybe we use some sort of drugs or alcohol from time to time, or may
be now or in the future subject to random drug testing as performing artists!)

anyway,

Dave Richoux