[Dixielandjazz] International Jazz

JimDBB@aol.com JimDBB@aol.com
Fri, 28 Jun 2002 11:49:35 EDT

--part1_8f.1e2a05ce.2a4ddf8f_boundary

In a message dated 6/28/02 8:57:27 AM Central Daylight Time,
barbonestreet@earthlink.net writes:

> List mates,
>
> Not OKOM, even with the references to Yoruba chants and religious praise
> songs.  May not interest all of us on the list, but this is a
> fascinating review of a group of modern international jazz musicians.
> And you have to admire the showmanship.  Can't resist posting it.
>
> Cheers,
> Steve Barbone
>
> June 28, 2002, New York Times
>
> Votive Candles and Wild Riffs
>
> By BEN RATLIFF
>
> The Cuban-born pianist Omar Sosa has a nearly feral sense of
> showmanship: at the Blue Note on Monday night, performing for the first
> time in New York, he came to flatten the crowd, and he did.
>
> Mr. Sosa, who since leaving Cuba in 1993 has moved between Ecuador,
> Spain and San Francisco, knows how to make an
> entrance. His band members appeared one by one, beginning with the
> singer Martha Galarraga, who is Cuban. She started a
> religious praise song. She was followed by the drummer, Elliott Kavee,
> from New York; the bassist, Geoff Brennan, and the
> saxophonist, Eric Crystal, both from San Francisco; the percussionist,

   I'm not sure how to say this, Steve, in an unoffensive way.  You are
posting an awful lot of stuff that has nothing whatsoever to do with
Dixieland Jazz.  We all do that to some degree but this constant flow of
modern jazz reviews, I believe, we can do without.  I'm sure that there is a
group that would be interested in them but I don't believe that this is the
right group.  Your heart really seems to be more in modern stuff than OKOM
and that is ok...follow your heart.

  Jim Beebe

--part1_8f.1e2a05ce.2a4ddf8f_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2>In a message dated 6/28/02 8:57:27 AM Central Daylight Time, barbonestreet@earthlink.net writes:<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">List mates,<BR>
<BR>
Not OKOM, even with the references to Yoruba chants and religious praise<BR>
songs.&nbsp; May not interest all of us on the list, but this is a<BR>
fascinating review of a group of modern international jazz musicians.<BR>
And you have to admire the showmanship.&nbsp; Can't resist posting it.<BR>
<BR>
Cheers,<BR>
Steve Barbone<BR>
<BR>
June 28, 2002, New York Times<BR>
<BR>
Votive Candles and Wild Riffs<BR>
<BR>
By BEN RATLIFF<BR>
<BR>
The Cuban-born pianist Omar Sosa has a nearly feral sense of<BR>
showmanship: at the Blue Note on Monday night, performing for the first<BR>
time in New York, he came to flatten the crowd, and he did.<BR>
<BR>
Mr. Sosa, who since leaving Cuba in 1993 has moved between Ecuador,<BR>
Spain and San Francisco, knows how to make an<BR>
entrance. His band members appeared one by one, beginning with the<BR>
singer Martha Galarraga, who is Cuban. She started a<BR>
religious praise song. She was followed by the drummer, Elliott Kavee,<BR>
from New York; the bassist, Geoff Brennan, and the<BR>
saxophonist, Eric Crystal, both from San Francisco; the percussionist,</BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp; I'm not sure how to say this, Steve, in an unoffensive way.&nbsp; You are posting an awful lot of stuff that has nothing whatsoever to do with Dixieland Jazz.&nbsp; We all do that to some degree but this constant flow of modern jazz reviews, I believe, we can do without.&nbsp; I'm sure that there is a group that would be interested in them but I don't believe that this is the right group.&nbsp; Your heart really seems to be more in modern stuff than OKOM and that is ok...follow your heart.<BR>
<BR>
&nbsp; Jim Beebe</FONT></HTML>

--part1_8f.1e2a05ce.2a4ddf8f_boundary--