[Dixielandjazz] Stuck Tuba valve

David Richoux tubaman@wombat.net
Tue, 25 Jun 2002 12:06:09 -0700

In a message dated 6/25/02 11:50:28 AM Central Daylight Time,
randymillan@shaw.ca writes:

> My old Czech  4-valve rotary Tuba has a stuck first rotary valve.  I've
> tried everything.  Even the repairman couldn't find the reason why it is
> sticking, and I don't really want to take it back to him again because
> it will cost a mint this time.  Any suggestions as to what might be the
> problem? It only seems to stick after its been played for a hour or so.
>
> Randy Millan

Jim replied  (not in plain text, by the way)

     Give it a good solid whack with a hammer.  Usually takes care of the
     problem with one whack.  Or do the decent thing and toss it into the nearest
      dumpster.

Jim,

I know you were being cute, but do you know how much a good old 4 rotor tuba may be
worth? Try $2000 to $10,000 US depending on the maker.

anyway, rotor valves are tricky - they are usually hand lapped to fit specific valve
housings but on older horns I have played it is more often the linkage or springs
that cause the hang-up. It may need a full linkage replacement with ball and socket
levers and new springs to replace the clockwork style coils. There are good repair
shops that can do this - Randy, where are you located?

Dave Richoux