[Dixielandjazz] Tabarka Jazz Festival - Tunisia

AmbassCult@aol.com AmbassCult@aol.com
Sat, 15 Jun 2002 20:40:18 EDT

--part1_fe.196e39b0.2a3d3872_boundary

In a message dated 6/15/02 12:11:25 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
barbonestreet@earthlink.net writes:

> > Ivor Jones, Good Time Jazz band wrote:
> >
> > We are still waiting to be invited to play in a jazzfest which will
> feature
> > other trad bands.

For Ivor and all the other bandleaders out there on the list:

The above statement is exactly why more OKOM bands are not getting booked at
these big International Festivals.   Most Groupsd are sitting around waiting
to be invited.

You have to get up and promote yourselves, not once every ten years but every
month, These Festivals have never heard of most of you and never will unless
you go to them.

I got Saint Gabriel's Celestiual Brass BVand into that circuit of
International Festivals by sending out about 250 CDS and Full Color
Promotional packages that made us look like the very exciting and colorful
act that we are,  we have clever uniforms that most bands hate to wear, but
they put us ont he Map Internationally and they still request that we wear
them.

We actually have people coming up to us and beg to buy them off our backs, so
never underestimate the power of RED WHITE & BLUE it widely loved around the
world in spite of the current political climate.

Fellas, there are over 1000 Festivals out there in Europe, and another 1000
in the USA just in my data base and there are many more events than that.  I
have just not had the time to get them all in the computer and organized.

Saint Gabriel's has a nice little solid Summer tour for July and we are still
getting offers for August and may well extend the tour.

It all started with one offer for two Festivals, and then I hit  the email to
about 500 other ones in Europe and told them we were coming over and were
accepting offers, they came quickly and I had five Festivals bidding for the
same week.

Steve Barbone and I have been preaching to all of you for the past two years
that I have been ont he list to get out and promote your band, and you will
create some excitment and get invited to play at larger and more influential
Festivals.

There is room for many good groups out there, and yes we play with many of
the Biggest nbames int he Business, and almost alwyas come away being the
favorite act at the festival.

Some folks would complain that we are too commercial and not esoteric enough
in our repertoire, some of you would no doubt dislike our show totally, but
that is OK too, we go where the action is and where the money is.

We are not trying to be Buddy Bolden or even Louis Armstrong, we just go out
and entertain the people with music they have heard before and like and can
relate to, unlike many of the "All original Jazz musicians on the circuit
playing only their original music"  These guys Hate with a passion to have to
follow our show, we are often used to warm up the crowd, and that we do
sometimes to histeria and then let some low keyed smooth jazz cats try to
follow that.

By the way we can also play all the smooth Jazz they want if they ask us to,
as well as Afro Cuban Jazz, Latin Salza, Calypso, Carribbean R&B Soul and
even Most of the major Rock Hits of the 50s 60s an70s.

We include songs in our shows by James Brown, Stevie Wonder, Wilson Pickett,
Jackie Wilson, Fats Domino, Louis Armstrong, Dirty Dozen Brass Band, Rebirth
Brass Band and about anything in between from Billie Holiday to Preservation
Hall Traditional stuff.    Therefore we are not afraid to go out in front of
anybodys Big name act, we know we can hold our own if not steal the show from
the lazy ones.

We just have a lot of fun and keep getting invited back now on the other hand
we Never get invited to Play on any OKOM Festivals, probably because we don't
fit the mold and are so far outside of the BOX for the OKOM orgnizers tastes
and budgets.

But that does not bother us bvecause it leaves more work for you guys who do
fit their idea of stricktly Traditional OKOM.

Now once again guys,  get out there and promote yourselves, I would, as Ivor
said above, love to meet up with some of you guys out there and play some
gigs together, not to mention be able to sit back at one of these Festivals
and hear more OKOM music.

Cheers,

Tom Wiggins
St. Gabriel's Celestial Brass Band

--part1_fe.196e39b0.2a3d3872_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2>