[Dixielandjazz] Re: was Trummy Young -- now Band Leaders

Nancy Giffin nancyink@ulink.net
Thu, 13 Jun 2002 09:01:41 -0500

Brian Towers <briantowers@msn.com> wrote:

> Nancy's story reminds me of the time I was in Honolulu and was very excited
> to see Trummy Young's band billed to appear in a local hotel.  Expecting to
> hear the big, fat, raunchy and brassy trombone of the Louis Armstrong days,
> I was in there "like a shot".    Imagine my surprise when I was assailed by
> the ultra sweet sounds of a gentle horn, played with a delicate flair.  He
> played "sweet" well, but I was most disappointed.  Louis Armstrong's way was
> the better way, for my taste.

Brian!

Isn't it marvelous to be so versatile as an artist! To be able to play the
"big, fat, raunchy and brassy trombone" as well as "the ultra sweet sounds
of a gentle horn, played with a delicate flair." We should all strive for
such dynamics. Each new sound is like an added word to our musical
vocabulary. How sophisticated do we wish to "speak"?

Brian's observation brings up a good point about the function of a BAND
LEADER (or in my case as a graphic designer, the Art Director, who has
proven to me countless times that my talents are best utilized according to
a higher perspective that I may not see until later):

As artists, we focus on ourselves (the "details"), while the leader/director
looks at "the big picture." Each artist develops his/her own talents and
style preferences, while the leader/director has to stand back and see how
each individual fits together, blends together, and optimally enhances one
another. If we respect the leader, we'll trust them and follow them, even if
we disagree.

Imagine the job of a floral designer: one must take into account the unique
beauty and scent of each flower, arranging it into a stunning bouquet that
not only showcases the beauty of each flower, but enhances it and
intensifies its impact, by virtue of its placement in the group.
Thanks, Brian, for your comment.

Also, you mentioned John Norris, a name I now associate with Sackville
Recordings -- as the leader/director/"flower arranger" of a sort. :)
Love and hugs,
Nancy with the Laughing Face