[Dixielandjazz] An Oldie For A Slow Day

ALBRIGHTTAPES@aol.com ALBRIGHTTAPES@aol.com
Wed, 12 Jun 2002 23:54:13 EDT

A man walked out of his office building during a rainy rush hour and
immediately managed to get a passing taxi.

What luck, he thought, as he slid into the cab.

"Perfect timing," the cabby said. "You're just like Jimmy."

"Who?"

"Jimmy Dupp. There's a guy who did everything right, the cabby said. "Like my
coming along when you needed a cab. It would have happened like that to Jimmy
every time."

"Nah," the man said to the cabby. "There are always a few clouds over
everybody."

"Not Jimmy," said the cabby. "Jimmy was a terrific athlete. Jimmy could have
gone on the pro tour in tennis. Jimmy could golf with the pros. Jimmy could
play any kind of music. Jimmy could play almost any instrument. Jimmy sang
like an opera baritone and danced like a Broadway star."

"Jimmy was really something, huh?"

"Oh, yeah," continued the cabby. "Jimmy had a memory like a steel trap. Jimmy
could remember everybody's birthday. Jimmy knew all about wine, and which
fork to eat with. Jimmy could fix anything. Not like me. I change a fuse, and
the whole neighborhood blacks out."

"No wonder you remember him," the man said.

"Well, I never actually met Jimmy," said the cabby.

"Then how do you know so much about him?"

"I married his widow."

OKOM "Nobody Knows The Trouble I've Seen."

John Albright
Lynnwood, WA