[Dixielandjazz] Re: American "Coronation"

dixielandjazz@ml.islandnet.com dixielandjazz@ml.islandnet.com
Tue, 4 Jun 2002 23:30:32 EDT

--part1_132.ecd99d7.2a2edfd8_boundary

tubaman@wombat.net writes:

> Jim, and all else who may be interested:
> (sorry - I cannot quote your non-plain text message ;-)
>
> I was in the US Navy Drum & Bugle Corps back in 1969 while at the San Diego
> boot
> camp - a great experience with lots of ceremonial stuff every day, and even
> some
> parades in other cities.
>
> There is a video available that covers many of the US Military ceremonial
> units in
> action. I saw it on the History  channel a few years ago - it was pretty
> good, but
> not great.
>
> Dave Richoux

   I taped that show.  It was better than nothing but quite disappointing in
that there was very little about the bands in the show.  There was a little
bit on the Marine band but that was it. Each military service has their top
band in Washington D.C. and these are very formidible musical ensembles.
Each one has a lot of history and deserves a show alone.

The musicians union has for years stymied the US military bands from any real
public recognition.  You could go into a record place and buy recordings of
military bands from all over the world except for the U.S.  These bands
should be and would be doing radio and tv shows but the Union has stopped
them.  Fortunately, this is changing thanks to some people educating the
congress and some change in laws.

Ron Hockett, now playing with Jim Cullum was the lead alto saxophonist in the
U.S. Marine band for 25 years.  He loved that gig.  Charlie Hooks, Wayne
Jones and I went to see him when the Marine Band did a concert in the Chicago
area.  It was a knockout concert.  We went out afterwards and I asked Ron if
their were ever any major fuckups at the Whitehouse like someone in the band
drunk etc.  Ron said no but once their dance ensemble was playing a gala for
the Queen of England who was visiting.  Ron said the leader of the group
without thinking went into their first medley which always started off with.
"The Lady is a Tramp."  He said that their were titers and guffaws throughout
the room but the Queen softened this goof by having a good laugh.

Dave...I was at MCRD ( Marine Corps Recruit Depot) in San Deigo in 1952.  Do
you believe it.  The had a big band there with a huge drum & bugle section.

Jim Beebe

--part1_132.ecd99d7.2a2edfd8_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2>In a message dated 6/4/02 5:42:40 PM Central Daylight Time, tubaman@wombat.net writes:<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">Jim, and all else who may be interested:<BR>
(sorry - I cannot quote your non-plain text message ;-)<BR>
<BR>
I was in the US Navy Drum &amp; Bugle Corps back in 1969 while at the San Diego boot<BR>
camp - a great experience with lots of ceremonial stuff every day, and even some <BR>
parades in other cities. <BR>
<BR>
There is a video available that covers many of the US Military ceremonial units in<BR>
action. I saw it on the History&nbsp; channel a few years ago - it was pretty good, but<BR>
not great. <BR>
<BR>
Dave Richoux</BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp; I taped that show.&nbsp; It was better than nothing but quite disappointing in that there was very little about the bands in the show.&nbsp; There was a little bit on the Marine band but that was it. Each military service has their top band in Washington D.C. and these are very formidible musical ensembles.&nbsp; Each one has a lot of history and deserves a show alone.&nbsp; <BR>
<BR>
The musicians union has for years stymied the US military bands from any real public recognition.&nbsp; You could go into a record place and buy recordings of military bands from all over the world except for the U.S.&nbsp; These bands should be and would be doing radio and tv shows but the Union has stopped them.&nbsp; Fortunately, this is changing thanks to some people educating the congress and some change in laws.<BR>
<BR>
Ron Hockett, now playing with Jim Cullum was the lead alto saxophonist in the U.S. Marine band for 25 years.&nbsp; He loved that gig.&nbsp; Charlie Hooks, Wayne Jones and I went to see him when the Marine Band did a concert in the Chicago area.&nbsp; It was a knockout concert.&nbsp; We went out afterwards and I asked Ron if their were ever any major fuckups at the Whitehouse like someone in the band drunk etc.&nbsp; Ron said no but once their dance ensemble was playing a gala for the Queen of England who was visiting.&nbsp; Ron said the leader of the group without thinking went into their first medley which always started off with. "The Lady is a Tramp."&nbsp; He said that their were titers and guffaws throughout the room but the Queen softened this goof by having a good laugh.<BR>
<BR>
Dave...I was at MCRD ( Marine Corps Recruit Depot) in San Deigo in 1952.&nbsp; Do you believe it.&nbsp; The had a big band there with a huge drum &amp; bugle section.&nbsp; <BR>
<BR>
Jim Beebe</FONT></HTML>

--part1_132.ecd99d7.2a2edfd8_boundary--