[Dixielandjazz] Take Me Off This List

Charlie Hooks dixielandjazz@ml.islandnet.com
Fri, 31 May 2002 19:04:37 -0500

on 5/31/02 3:02 PM, Stephen Barbone at barbonestreet@earthlink.net wrote:

> The change was dramatic. "What am I doing here" became "Play anything
> you like, its OK with me". The pacing stopped, and the up and down man
> came over to our little corner and sat quietly for 2 hours.

    You bet the changes are dramatic.  One Roadshow concert in a retirement
center brought sudden screams from the nurses--screams of amazement!  A
woman who has not spoken or moved from her wheelchair in years, suddenly got
up and danced down the hall like a teenager!

    I play all these places I can; and if they can't afford me, I play free
but don't tell anyone.

Charlie