[Dixielandjazz] Clarinet sound - was Brian Shanley

Charlie Hooks dixielandjazz@ml.islandnet.com
Fri, 31 May 2002 18:53:38 -0500

on 5/31/02 3:17 PM, Stephen Barbone at barbonestreet@earthlink.net wrote:

> They claim it is the column of air that the player projects
> through the horn that determines the sound. It is the player, not the
> horn, they say.

    In my own favorite work, Oskar Kroll's Die Klarinette-ihre Geschichte,
ihre Literatur, ihre grossen Meister, written in Germany under the Nazis and
completed in 1944, Kroll describes extensive experiments (what else: they're
Germans!) with clarinets constructed of various materials, including glass
and even concrete.  Concluded that material of the horn's body made
absolutely no difference.  But great difference what the mouthpiece was made
of.

    Interesting book.  I think there is a translation published by Taplinger
in New York back in 63.

    Jack Brymer has a fine book, too, but I can't recall a discussion of
materials.

Charlie