[Dixielandjazz] Re: Is You IS or Is You AIN'T

Nancy Giffin nancyink@ulink.net
Tue, 30 Jul 2002 15:23:34 -0500

>> Bill Gunter wrote:
>> Hello fellow whatevers,
>> Beebe done writ:
>>> There is increasing evidence from researchers at the Monroe Institute
>>> that there is plenty of life out there, but most of it is on a different
>>> vibrational or dimensional plane and therefore invisible to us...
>> Wait a minute, wait a minute, wait a minute . . . You're telling us
>> that we know there is plenty of life out there, but it's just that we have
>> no way of detecting it . . . come on!
To which Steve Barbone replied:
> That's 'cause they're on the other list, not the DJML. If a DJML list mate
> is confused by these posts, you are not alone. You just gotta have
> 'Faith' that another plane (list) exists, and that's where these posts
> belong. ;-)

Now, hold on a minute guys (my friends Steve, Bill, & Charlie),

I don't want you to open your minds so much that your brains fall out, but
this isn't so far from jazz as you presume. I ask you: Have you never been
to a "tribute concert" for a deceased musician and heard the master of
ceremonies claim, "We know they're here in spirit..." and see many folks,
even you, nod in agreement? Steve, have you never played a solo where you
felt really in-tune with the spirit of the composer or musician who made the
piece famous, and find this enhanced your playing? Again, don't let your
brains spill out, but here's an example:

My close friend was scheduled to audition for acceptance into the London
Conservatory of Music on what would have been J.S. Bach's 300th birthday
(1985). By coincidence, his audition piece was a piano work by J.S. Bach.
Well, to this day, my friend gets absolutely wide-eyed with wonder and
amazement as he recalls Bach's 300th birthday and how he played the Bach
piece like a fiend, tearing into it as if Bach himself were inside him
playing the piece he had written. The performance really wowed the audition
panel. My friend says he never performed so well on piano, before or since.
He seriously swears Bach was there on his 300th birthday, and that the
auguries were propitious for him to audition that day. He did get accepted
and did graduate from the Conservatory as an orchestral/choral conductor.

Okay, so I guess I'll be petitioned off the list now? Humble apologies to
those who are upset by my posting this on the wrong list. Musical content:
"For All We Know."

Love and hugs,
Nancy