[Dixielandjazz] Dixieland Movies

Patrick Cooke patcooke@cox.net
Fri, 26 Jul 2002 13:39:24 -0500

Dan wrote:
       >> But what I'm thinking of is mainly movies that have dixieland
bands playing and/or appearing in them.<<

       There was a movie called "Pretty Baby".  The setting was in
Storyville in New Orleans (pre-1917).  It is the story of a trick baby (born
and raised in a brothel).  The girl was played by a young Brooke Shields,
and the mother was played by Susan Sarandon.  The madam was a grotesque
Frances Faye.
        The movie was put together from parts of Al Rose's book "Storyville,
New Orleans.  There are a lot of brothel scenes, and the background music is
all early New Orleans.  The only musician you see is the piano player
(professor), but there are some good New Orleans musicians on the
soundtrack.  Their names are mentioned in the credits, but I don't recall
them.
        Pat Cooke