[Dixielandjazz] Dixieland Movies

Richard Broadie richard.broadie@gte.net
Fri, 26 Jul 2002 11:29:54 -0700

Hi djml!  Just peeking in, having exceeded 10,000 unread messages in my djml
file. (Time to hit that big delete button???)

Wish I had time to keep up with you but have been extremely busy between
performing and doing engineering work.  Three kids in college doesn't make
my life simpler or provide me time to do the most important things such as
monitoring this list.

To thread
Charlie Beal was Louie's piano player in "New Orleans."  I was his bass
player and friend for a number of years.  He taught Billy Holiday the song
"Do You Know What It Means..." because she had trouble reading music.   I
still think of him everytime I play that tune.  Loved the music in New
Orleans (Bigard and Callendar were also close friends) but hated the
stereotypical roles given to Billlie and others.

There's much more I'd like to say but can only limit my computer time to
minutes a day.  I miss you folks!

Dick Broadie