[Dixielandjazz] Dixieland Movies

David W. Littlefield dwlit@cpcug.org
Sun, 28 Jul 2002 18:12:01 -0400

At 09:37 AM 7/26/2002 -0500, Dan Augustine wrote:
>Folks--
>    OK, i give up.  I'm lazy.  I liked watching the movie "The Gig", and it
>kind of whetted my appetite for movies with dixieland/OKOM bands in them.
>I'm not all that interested in movies with big bands (Duke Ellington, etc.),
>just movies (either fiction or documentaries) of OKOM.
>    But what i'm thinking of is mainly movies that have dixieland bands
>playing and/or appearing in them.  I'd love to see the Assunto Dukes, for
>example, but have never heard of their being in a movie.
>    Any info out there?  Thanks.
>    Dan

"Izzy and Moe", a made-for-TV movie w/Jackie Gleason and Art Carney. Not
that great a flic, but the story concerns a pair of treasury agents who are
speakeasy busters, and they spend much time in a speakeasy that has a
dixieland band. Plus there's a lot of dixieland related music running
through it. I recall thinking that it did well by our music...

--Sheik