Fwd: [Dixielandjazz] Re:Smokey Stover

JimDBB@aol.com JimDBB@aol.com
Wed, 24 Jul 2002 21:03:18 EDT

--part1_5a.ed59b68.2a70a856_boundary

From: JimDBB@aol.com
Subject: Re: [Dixielandjazz] Re:Smokey Stover
To: dixielandjazz@ml.islandnet.com
Sender: dixielandjazz-admin@ml.islandnet.com
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2002 20:21:35 EDT

--part1_125.140e6e81.2a709e8f_boundary

In a message dated 7/24/02 5:43:29 PM Central Daylight Time,
gebooks@qwestonline.com writes:

> Jim:
> On a long ride to a gig in Omaha,  Smokey told me about his IRS proiblem.
> Seems he owed Uncle Sam about $35,000 in withholding taxes he had deducted
> but from his crew but never remitted to the government. He went to the
> federal pen in southern Illinois, I believe. He became a trustee there in
> three days due to a mob connection and ate a steak dinner every night with
> the former Chicago don and the warden. His job was to drive the warden's
> big Caddy or such into town each morning, take along several other trustees
> and give them the various lists for the grocery store, meat market,
> hardware store, etc. Smokey told the guys not to rich and sat at a bar for
> several hours while the daily supplies were picked up. Not too tough for
> being incarcerated!
> He was released after 6 months and owed the government nothing. Smokey said
> he never, in his life, made $35,000 in 6 months.

   Gene, with all due respect to you, Smokey Stover was as full of s...as
they come.
   He sure was jiving you with his story of driving the 'wardens' caddy into
town with a grocery list and then eating steak at night with the Warden and
the chicago don...what a crock.  I don't believe that he got out of the
$35,000 either but in any case some of the musicians got stuck and in effect,
they had to pay their taxes twice.   "He became a trustee in three days due
to a mob connection"...he obviously had a lark giving everyone these tall
tales.

   Jim Beebe

--part1_125.140e6e81.2a709e8f_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2>In a message dated 7/24/02 5:43:29 PM Central Daylight Time, gebooks@qwestonline.com writes:<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>Jim:</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" SIZE=3 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"><BR>
</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0">On a long ride to a gig in Omaha,&nbsp; Smokey told me about his IRS proiblem. Seems he owed Uncle Sam about $35,000 in withholding taxes he had deducted but from his crew but never remitted to the government. He went to the federal pen in southern Illinois, I believe. He became a trustee there in three days due to a mob connection and ate a steak dinner every night with the former Chicago don and the warden. His job was to drive the warden's big Caddy or such into town each morning, take along several other trustees and give them the various lists for the grocery store, meat market, hardware store, etc. Smokey told the guys not to rich and sat at a bar for several hours while the daily supplies were picked up. Not too tough for being incarcerated!</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" SIZE=3 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"><BR>
</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0">He was released after 6 months and owed the government nothing. Smokey said he never, in his life, made $35,000 in 6 months.</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" SIZE=3 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"><BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp; Gene, with all due respect to you, Smokey Stover was as full of s...as they come.<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp; He sure was jiving you with his story of driving the 'wardens' caddy into town with a grocery list and then eating steak at night with the Warden and the chicago don...what a crock.&nbsp; I don't believe that he got out of the $35,000 either but in any case some of the musicians got stuck and in effect, they had to pay their taxes twice.&nbsp;&nbsp; "He became a trustee in three days due to a mob connection"...he obviously had a lark giving everyone these tall tales.<BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp; Jim Beebe</FONT></HTML>