[Dixielandjazz] Give jazz a chance

Brighten Godfrey godfreyb@bigw.org
Wed, 17 Jul 2002 02:22:48 -0500 (CDT)

John Farrell wrote:

> Pat Cooke said succintly :
>
> "Bird, Diz, Miles, and Lester didn't destroy anything.  OKOM, YKOM, or
> whatever, is still there to listen to any time you want to.  They merely
> added another dimension to jazz which you can choose to listen to or not
> listen to.  Lighten up.
>     Old brain cells find it difficult to comprehend new things...

It's not just old brain cells.  I think a good bit of what you enjoy
listening to is what you understand...and what you understand is what
you've listened to. :-)  I'm 22, and a few years ago bop sounded like
nothing more than a continuous stream of pseudo-random notes to me.  But
after listening to it more, and being taught to play it, I can hear the
patterns better, and now I enjoy it just as much as trad jazz.  Check out
some of Clifford Brown's recordings for some wonderful melody.

That's just a generalization, of course; everyone likes different things.

Brighten Godfrey