[Dixielandjazz] The Original Million Dollar Question

GWW174@aol.com GWW174@aol.com
Tue, 16 Jul 2002 23:52:45 EDT

--part1_19b.55db56c.2a66440d_boundary

In a message dated 7/16/02 7:08:27 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
barbonestreet@earthlink.net writes:

> What they do/play is better than almost all other festival bands
> when measured by audience reaction. From that perspective, they are THE
> BEST.
>
> Conclusion?  Perhaps that presentation is the most important ingrediant
> in how a band is perceived. Igor's groups happen to be proficient
> musicians but as I see the audience reaction, their music is secondary.
> Jazz Festivals?  No, Musical Entertainment Festivals.

Steve raises some good points.  My wife loves to go to festivals but does NOT
always enjoy listening to CD's.... even the CD's of the popular festival
bands.  Apparently to her (and others) OKOM is a visual as well as an aural
experience.

No one has hit upon an element which IMHO is one of the significant issues in
why some bands come across as GREAT and others as just good.  Will wait
awhile longer for some more posts.

Gordon

--part1_19b.55db56c.2a66440d_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2>In a message dated 7/16/02 7:08:27 AM Pacific Daylight Time, barbonestreet@earthlink.net writes:<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">What they do/play is better than almost all other festival bands<BR>
when measured by audience reaction. From that perspective, they are THE<BR>
BEST.<BR>
<BR>
Conclusion?&nbsp; Perhaps that presentation is the most important ingrediant<BR>
in how a band is perceived. Igor's groups happen to be proficient<BR>
musicians but as I see the audience reaction, their music is secondary.<BR>
Jazz Festivals?&nbsp; No, Musical Entertainment Festivals.<BR>
<BR>
</BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
<BR>
Steve raises some good points.&nbsp; My wife loves to go to festivals but does NOT always enjoy listening to CD's.... even the CD's of the popular festival bands.&nbsp; Apparently to her (and others) OKOM is a visual as well as an aural experience.<BR>
<BR>
No one has hit upon an element which IMHO is one of the significant issues in why some bands come across as GREAT and others as just good.&nbsp; Will wait awhile longer for some more posts.<BR>
<BR>
Gordon</FONT></HTML>

--part1_19b.55db56c.2a66440d_boundary--