[Dixielandjazz] Band Dress

Patrick Cooke patcooke@cox.net
Thu, 11 Jul 2002 12:24:31 -0500

   Let me add my 2 cents to this overworked molehill...If you're playing
outdoors for the company picnic, you'd look pretty stupid in tuxes with the
sweat running down your nose.    Also you wouldn't play a wedding in tee
shirts.  You dress for the occasion.  Just be clean and neat.
   There's a gal at one of the jazz festivals who changes costume for every
number, and has the band in tuxes.  They are the only band in tuxes, or even
jackets and ties.
She and they are ridiculously out of place.  No, the music does not redeem
the situation.
     Pat Cooke

----- Original Message -----
From: "James Kashishian" <kash@ran.es>
To: <dixielandjazz@ml.islandnet.com>
Sent: Thursday, July 11, 2002 9:22 AM
Subject: RE: [Dixielandjazz] Band Dress

T shirts done decently is ok, in my book. But when you go into a nice
club in Chicago like, say, Andy's...T shirts, levis and long hair is a
turn off. Jim Beebe

Actually, all this t-shirt talk started because I mentioned some of us
wear t-shirts on the stand at local jazz clubs.  It's just the scene
here, and is not strange to anyone.  I mentioned that I wear a clean,
pressed t-shirt, and tend to have some sort of music theme on it. I
always try to look like I knew I was coming to perform!

 Our bass player often wears one of the band's t-shirts.  Pepe, our
trumpeter, always looks smart in anything he wears...just being that
kind of person.  Pianist & drummer tend to wear any old shirt, not
usually t-type.  Pianist always wears suspenders!  Doesn't like belts.
Neither are much into clothes, but you ought to hear the music......!!

Anyway, there is no uniform to the whole setup when we are at a club.
Different at parties & concerts, where we give some thought to the
matter.

Jim (Spain is Different) Kash