[Dixielandjazz] Band Dress

Nancy Giffin nancyink@ulink.net
Thu, 11 Jul 2002 10:25:34 -0500

Don Ingle <dingle@baldwin-net.com> wrote:
>> Nancy:
>> Let me see if I have you correct...you would not pay to hear a great band
>> if the players were dressed in tee shirts, correct?

Dear, dear Don,

No need to flame your aura red on my account, my good man. And no, you do
not have me correct. Sorry. If you've read Barbone's edited version of my
comment, I can understand the irritation.

My full statement was: "On principle: I don't want to pay to see a great
band dressed in t-shirts (or worse!) any more than I want to go to a fine
restaurant and eat off paper plates."  A statement of preference.

I WILL PAY GOOD MONEY to see a great band dressed in clown suits, if that's
what they choose to wear. Still, I'm entitled to have a preference for
something classier.

This discussion arose out of talk on BAND IMAGE and PLEASING YOUR AUDIENCE
(the folks who keep you in business).

JIM BEEBE said: "When jazz groups started emulating rock groups, that killed
off a lot of interest in jazz, IMHO."

As a general rule, I think it's nice if the performers are better dressed
than their audience.

Love and humble hugs,
Nancy