[Dixielandjazz] What is a musician's musician

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet@earthlink.net
Thu, 11 Jul 2002 10:42:46 -0400

Jazz Jerry asked whether musicians hear music differently from non
musicians. As a musician, I think so.  Generally, we are much more
attuned to tempo, pitch and facility with the instrument.

But likewise, I'm fairly sure that some non-musos hear like musos and
vice versa.

Cop-out? No, because look at the range of opinions you get on Tatum, or
Pee Wee Russell from both musos and non musos. Some from both camps love
Tatum and/or Russell. And some from both camps hate Tatum/and or
Russell.

I think perhaps all of us, regardless of muso or non-muso hear music
differently. Else, why would some tempos drag?  Yet the dragging not be
heard by some musos and some non musos? Or why are certain harmonies
incorporated into tunes?  To me it has always been incomprehensible how
someone could disparage Tatum, Russell, Parker, Monk, Coltrane, Bix et
al. Better to realize that one doesn't appreciate their contribution to
music, or hear the music that way, than to say one or more of them
sucks. Because the former is true and the latter is an personal opinion
which reveals a good deal of ignorance, unless clearly stated as a
personal opinion.

Cheers,
Steve