[Dixielandjazz] What is a 'musician's musician'?

JimDBB@aol.com JimDBB@aol.com
Thu, 11 Jul 2002 10:27:37 EDT

--part1_156.10a184c2.2a5eefd9_boundary

In a message dated 7/10/02 11:46:57 PM Central Daylight Time, Jazzjerry
writes:

> As an illustration, maybe more OKOM than Tatum (but don't lets dwell on
> that!), would be the playing of George Lewis. He could be regarded as
> someone who's appeal to his listeners was not based on brilliant technique.
>
> Anyone any comments on the general point?
>
> Jerry

   True about George Lewis.  He is a long way  from Benny Goodman but he had
a style and an expression very distinctly his own.  Those Jazzman recordings
he did with his original band are among my favorites.

  BTW, Jerry, I worked a lot with Little Brother Montgomery in Chicago.  I
Knew him quite well and did one recording with him.

   Jim beebe

--part1_156.10a184c2.2a5eefd9_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2>In a message dated 7/10/02 11:46:57 PM Central Daylight Time, Jazzjerry writes:<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">As an illustration, maybe more OKOM than Tatum (but don't lets dwell on that!), would be the playing of George Lewis. He could be regarded as someone who's appeal to his listeners was not based on brilliant technique.<BR>
<BR>
Anyone any comments on the general point?<BR>
<BR>
Jerry</BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp; True about George Lewis.&nbsp; He is a long way&nbsp; from Benny Goodman but he had a style and an expression very distinctly his own.&nbsp; Those Jazzman recordings he did with his original band are among my favorites.<BR>
<BR>
&nbsp; BTW, Jerry, I worked a lot with Little Brother Montgomery in Chicago.&nbsp; I Knew him quite well and did one recording with him.&nbsp; <BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp; Jim beebe</FONT></HTML>

--part1_156.10a184c2.2a5eefd9_boundary--