[Dixielandjazz] Band Dress

JimDBB@aol.com JimDBB@aol.com
Thu, 11 Jul 2002 10:17:38 EDT

--part1_bf.2305fdc5.2a5eed82_boundary

In a message dated 7/11/02 4:55:16 AM Central Daylight Time,
dingle@baldwin-net.com writes:

> Nancy:
> Let me see if I have you correct...you would not pay to hear a great band
> if
> the players were dressed in tee shirts, correct?
> This raises a question Nancy -- do you go for the music or for the
> fashions?
> If it was truly great jazz, I'd go to hear it if they dressed in
> skivvies or thongs. Finding great jazz these days is worth any price in
> times of rap, rock, and rotten material.
> Sure, it's nice to see a band well dressed, but that has nothing to do with
> how they play. Jackie Coon played around Carmel with Jake Stock's Abalone
> Stompers for years, and the group dressed like Left Coast Beach Bums. But
> they played wonderful jazz, entertained the people they played for, and
> nobody with ears gave a damn about their attire.
> One man's opinion
> Don Ingle

   Don Ingle, I can't believe that you are writing this.  Maybe 5 years of
tuxes at Jazz Ltd  and life in the North Woods have dulled your professional
dress sensibilites. ( just kidding). It is possible to dress casually and
still look professional.  If it is' hot and summer, T shirts done decently is
ok, in my book. But when you go into a nice club in Chicago like, say,
Andy's...T shirts, levis and long hair is a turn off.  When jazz groups
started emulating rock groups, that killed off a lot of interest in jazz,
IMHO.

   Jim Beebe

--part1_bf.2305fdc5.2a5eed82_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2>In a message dated 7/11/02 4:55:16 AM Central Daylight Time, dingle@baldwin-net.com writes:<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">Nancy:<BR>
Let me see if I have you correct...you would not pay to hear a great band if<BR>
the players were dressed in tee shirts, correct?<BR>
This raises a question Nancy -- do you go for the music or for the fashions?<BR>
If it was truly great jazz, I'd go to hear it if they dressed in<BR>
skivvies or thongs. Finding great jazz these days is worth any price in<BR>
times of rap, rock, and rotten material.<BR>
Sure, it's nice to see a band well dressed, but that has nothing to do with<BR>
how they play. Jackie Coon played around Carmel with Jake Stock's Abalone<BR>
Stompers for years, and the group dressed like Left Coast Beach Bums. But<BR>
they played wonderful jazz, entertained the people they played for, and<BR>
nobody with ears gave a damn about their attire.<BR>
One man's opinion<BR>
Don Ingle</BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp; Don Ingle, I can't believe that you are writing this.&nbsp; Maybe 5 years of tuxes at Jazz Ltd&nbsp; and life in the North Woods have dulled your professional dress sensibilites. ( just kidding). It is possible to dress casually and still look professional.&nbsp; If it is' hot and summer, T shirts done decently is ok, in my book. But when you go into a nice club in Chicago like, say, Andy's...T shirts, levis and long hair is a turn off.&nbsp; When jazz groups started emulating rock groups, that killed off a lot of interest in jazz, IMHO.&nbsp; <BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp; Jim Beebe</FONT></HTML>

--part1_bf.2305fdc5.2a5eed82_boundary--