[Dixielandjazz] Ernie Carson

JButler916@aol.com JButler916@aol.com
Sat, 6 Jul 2002 10:45:55 EDT

To Bill G. and all other listmates,

  Having played with Gene Mayl on and off for over 20 years I also have had
the Ernie Carson experience first hand. I've been on the recieving end when
he got boozed up and it's not fun but I also have to say that I can't think
of a guy I'd rather play with when he's "straight!" A helluva player.

  He and Gene Bolen were good friends but when they got drinking together
things could get nasty for anyone in their vicinity especially what they
referred to as "tee shirt" band players...weekenders with other "real" gigs.
You have to realize that these two guys were very proud of the fact that
every penny they had ever made came from putting those horns in their face
day after day night after night. I remember Gene Bolen in Memphis telling Doc
Ryan of The Hot Cotton Jazz Band in no uncertain terms what he thought about
him after the good doctor made a comment like...."well I saw the handwriting
on the wall about what the future held as a professional musician so I became
a doctor." Money you know. Boy did Bolen go off on him for ..."buying a
band."

  So Ernie is out of this same mindset which can get very out of hand when
the booze starts flowing. As Gene Mayl can attest to these two guys started
swaping shots of booze on the bandstand during a Pennsylvania Jazz event in
Stockertown,PA back in the 80's and to say it was an embarassing situation
would be a vast understatement! We played for this wonderful bunch of jazz
listeners in April of this year...the first time the band had been back there
in about 15 or 16 years all because of this.

  I can relate to you how Gene gave Ernie another couple of trys that blew up
in his face or how our drummer Howard Kadison took mercy on Ernie when his
chops went out on him  a number of years ago and gave him a gig on the
Mississippi Queen playing piano in the Paddle Wheel lounge. Naturally Ernie
being Ernie he went off on the paying pasengers in no uncertain terms
verbally and as a result was put ashore at the next town.

  It's sad that a talent like this does have so many deamons. Johnny Ulrich
used to say to me that he was always amazed how Ernie could go from a Turk
Murphy style band and right into a Wild Bill style group just like
nothing..no easy trick.

  As I read some of these posts about Ernie it was de ja vue to me all over
again. I'm sure that if Gene Mayl reads any of this he could tell more
stories than anyone would want to hear.

  Sad to say in the end these tales that abound about Ernie are all to true.

Jim Butler