[Dixielandjazz] Ernie Carson

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet@earthlink.net
Sat, 06 Jul 2002 10:52:20 -0400

Bill Gunter wrote about Ernie Carson:  (snip)

"When he gets stoned he respects nobody . . . .It's a pathetic case and
although I wish him the best, he always seems to defeat himself as a
dependable artist."

List mates & Bill:

Spot on. He thinks he is a professional, but his demons prevent him from
being one. The last time I worked with him (mid 1990s) was at a concert
for the Pennsylvania Jazz Society. A dedicated group of fans that has
kept the music alive in this part of the world.

It was a four hour concert and he was paid a pretty good sum of money to
deliver about 3 hours worth of Dixieland during that time.

We played 40 minutes. Took an hour break while he got bombed. Played 20
minutes, then took another extended break while he got re-bombed. Then
played another 20 minutes and that was it.

Very disappointing and very unprofessional. The audience was stunned and
needless to say, they would never have booked him again. And musically,
he coasted.

Sad to say, poor Ernie does not respect others, and he obviously does
not respect himself. Haven't heard much about him lately. Wonder why?
In any event, I hope he has joined AA.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone