[Dixielandjazz] Ward Kimball

James Kashishian kash@ran.es
Tue, 9 Jul 2002 15:32:40 +0200

I've often wondered about the whereabouts of Ward Kimball.  I know he
stopped playing a long while back.  Anybody know why?  Was it bad
health?  Had he been ill before his death?

I'm another who listened closely to the FH5+2 in my early days.  I have
almost all of their LP's.  A big thrill for me a few years ago was to
have George Probert on one of our gigs.  His sound, as much of Ward's,
gave the FH5 their styling.

I heard the band live once at the Beverly Caverns in L.A.  The siren was
unbelievably loud in a small club!!  Whata laugh!!  Really drove the
band into the last chorus.

Ward made great music during his lifetime.  He was also a firm believer,
obviously, in uniforms....which is a discussion we're all into at the
moment.

Jim