[Dixielandjazz] NY Times Reviews (Widows)

Robert Ringwald ringwald@calweb.com
Tue, 2 Jul 2002 15:16:27 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Stephen Barbone" <barbonestreet@earthlink.net>

Barbone wrote:

> Actually, I read about 5 times as many jazz reviews as I post, and try
> to post only those that have a message fitting with OKOM. Sometimes I
> fail to detail that message in the belief that list mates will see it on
> their own. Big mistake as some do not make the connection.
>
> For example, the Obit on Nellie Monk can be seen as a great parallel to
> that of Ann Davison's. These two great ladies kept their musician
> husbands (Thelonious and Wild Bill) on the path to greatness in spite of
> their husband's social failings. Some list mates did not make that
> connection, but how many other great ladies are out there putting up
> with jazz musos who need that help to survive and create?  I've heard it
> said that without Ann, Wild Bill would have been another Ernie Carson.
> Without Nellie, Monk would have been unable to function also. Ann and
> Nellie, Bill and Monk?  Great love stories, great musos, great ladies.
>

>Bob (Mr. Wonderful) Ringwald comments:

 ________________________When I lived in Tinseltown and led the Great
Pacific Jazz Band with Zeke Zarchy and Bob Havens, we always had a Sunday
night gig.  For a while, I remember the widows of Ziggy Elman, Hinie Beau,
Barney Biggard, Joe Venuti and 1 other (can't remember who she was) all
coming in and sitting together.

I agree, if it had not been for Anne Davidson, Bill would have been dead 30
years earlier.

mr.wonderful@ringwald.com
Placerville, CA USA
See: http://www.ringwald.com