[Dixielandjazz] NY Times Reviews

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet@earthlink.net
Tue, 02 Jul 2002 11:06:36 -0400

Bill Haesler wrote:

"Dear mates,
And particularly those (who don't know what the 'delete' key is for) and
have been giving me mate Steve Barbone a rough time about the passing on
the NY Times 'reviews'.  If Steve doesn't post the review of the
following (foreshadowed by mate Don
Mopstick), I will resign!) 8>) "  (snip)

Careful Bill, the Jazz Police may ban us both. :-)

Actually, I read about 5 times as many jazz reviews as I post, and try
to post only those that have a message fitting with OKOM. Sometimes I
fail to detail that message in the belief that list mates will see it on
their own. Big mistake as some do not make the connection.

For example, the Obit on Nellie Monk can be seen as a great parallel to
that of Ann Davison's. These two great ladies kept their musician
husbands (Thelonious and Wild Bill) on the path to greatness in spite of
their husband's social failings. Some list mates did not make that
connection, but how many other great ladies are out there putting up
with jazz musos who need that help to survive and create?  I've heard it
said that without Ann, Wild Bill would have been another Ernie Carson.
Without Nellie, Monk would have been unable to function also. Ann and
Nellie, Bill and Monk?  Great love stories, great musos, great ladies.

I will post the reviews you requested, if they should appear. No way can
I miss them as I have a tracker system for "Jazz" content in the Times,
and have just added Barnard's name to that system etc.

BTW, saw Barnard on tour with Jim Cullum in the USA last year, he was
wonderful. That particular night, he was the star.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone