[Dixielandjazz] JAZZ ME NEWS JULY 2002

Don Mopsick mophandl@landing.com
Sun, 30 Jun 2002 23:58:14 -0500

JAZZ ME NEWS JULY 2002

NEWSLETTER FOR THE JIM CULLUM JAZZ BAND AND RIVERWALK, LIVE FROM THE LANDING PUBLIC
RADIO SERIES

July 2002

NEW DRUMMER JOINS  THE JIM CULLUM JAZZ BAND

As of July 1, 2002, Kevin Dorn took over the drumming duties in the Jim Cullum Jazz
Band.

Kevin and the JCJB band members look forward to a long and swinging collaboration.

Kevin was born in 1975 in New York City. He took up drumming at the age of 14 after
being inspired by Gene Krupa. He has played with many of the top names in classic
jazz, including Dan Barrett, Bob Haggart, Bob Wilber, Johnny Varro, Eddy Davis,
Mark Shane, Ed Polcer, Terry Waldo, and John Gill. He has also performed with the
Loren Schoenberg Big Band, Vince Giordano's Nighthawks, and The Flying Neutrinos.

Since 1996, Kevin has performed with Dan Levinson's Roof Garden Jass Band, a
repertory group that performs the music of the Original Dixieland Jazz Band and
other groups of the same period. The Roof Garden Jass Band has appeared at numerous
festivals throughout the country and has accompanied singer Leon Redbone. In 1999
they performed with Dick Hyman as part of the Jazz in July series at the 92nd
Street Y in Manhattan. The group has recorded three CDs, two of them for the Stomp
Off record label.

>From 1996-1999, Kevin was also a member of Nick Palumbo's Flipped Fedora Orchestra.
This popular high-energy swing-style group appeared in March 1997 on Fox TV's
national morning show After Breakfast. The group was also featured on Fox's Good
Day New York and PBS' City Arts program, and can be seen in actor Joe Pesci's music
video.

Kevin has also performed with the popular vocal group The Manhattan Rhythm Kings,
traveling with them to Kansas and Alaska.

Other performances of note in Kevin's career include the 1997 JVC Jazz Festival
with Warren Vaché, Jr. and Howard Alden; Jon-Erik Kellso's 2000 Tribute to Bix
Beiderbecke concert; a tour of Japan with the New York Ragtime Orchestra; a
re-creation of Benny Goodman's historic 1938 Carnegie Hall concert with band leader
Stan Rubin; the New Jersey Jazz Society's Pee Wee Russell Memorial Stomp in 1998,
2000, and 2001; and several engagements with Banu Gibson and The New Orleans Hot
Jazz.

Kevin studied at the Manhattan School of Music (two other current JCJB members are
MSM graduates: bassist Don Mopsick has a bachelor of music, and trombonist Kenny
Rupp has a master of music).  Kevin has also studied privately with several great
jazz drummers such as Ed Shaughnessy, Jake Hanna, Tony DeNicola, and John Von
Ohlen. Kevin's biggest influences include Gene Krupa, Dave Tough, Sid Catlett,
George Wettling, Cliff Leeman, Buzzy Drootin, and Sam Woodyard.

Besides playing at the Landing Monday through Saturday, Kevin's first gigs with the
band in July will be in New York City, and then at the Stanford Jazz Festival in
California to record two new Riverwalk shows (see below).

JCJB 40th ANNIVERSARY CONCERTS IN NEW YORK CITY

Jim Cullum and his late father, Jim Cullum, Sr. founded the original Happy Jazz
Band in 1962 and Landing Jazz Club on the San Antonio Riverwalk in 1963. To
celebrate 40 years of jazz on the river, the JCJB will appear in two concerts in
New York in July:

July 17: Lincoln Center Midsummer Night Swing Dance Party with pianist Dick Hyman.

July 18: 40th Anniversary Concert with pianist Dick Hyman, actress/vocalist Terry
Burrell, and cornetist Bob Barnard, Tisch Center for the Performing Arts, 92nd
Street Y.

http://www.92ndsty.org/index.html

See below for more information.

UNITED WE STAND

For July 2002, Jim Cullum's Landing in San Antonio offers you FREE ADMISSION if you
are currently employed as:

*Active-duty US Armed Forces
*Firefighter
*Law-enforcement
*EMS

Please show your ID to your server at seating. There is a limit of 4 free
admissions per party.

Jim Cullum says: "In this small way we wish to show our love for the country, and
our support of our military and our President."

For reservations, email us at christocullen@hotmail.com, or please call The Landing
during normal business hours, Central Time, Monday through Friday, at 210-223-7266
or 210-602-0967. Reservations are suggested only on weekend nights or for large
parties.

JULY RIVERWALK TAPING AT STANFORD JAZZ FESTIVAL

You're invited to attend a Riverwalk concert and taping session on the road. The
Stanford Jazz Festival presents the Jim Cullum Jazz Band in concert at Dinkelspiel
Auditorium, Braun Music Center, Stanford University, Sunday July 21 at 7:30 PM. The
proceeds go to support the work of the non-profit San Francisco Traditional Jazz
Foundation.

http://www.stanfordjazz.org/Concerts/Festival/Cullum.html

The concert will be taped for national broadcast later this year on Riverwalk, Live
>From The Landing Public Radio series and will feature a  special guest artist, the
great Australian cornetist Bob Barnard.

http://www.riverwalk.org/profiles/barnard.htm

Bob and the JCJB will present two new Riverwalk shows:

*A tribute to horn players of the Swing Era, with an emphasis on "The Miracle Man
of Swing," trumpeter and bandleader Bunny Berigan.

*A program that brings back what Louis Armstrong called "the good ol' good ones,"
the tried and true classics of traditional jazz performed with the special Jim
Cullum Jazz Band flair.

Tickets will be available at the door. For advance tickets, purchases and
information call 650-725-ARTS, Stanford's public events line at 650-723-2551, or
Stanford's general number 650-723-6500.

Earlier on that same day, the band will perform at a benefit concert for Northern
California's Children's Health Council, where they share the bill with country
music sensation, Trisha Yearwood. The benefit concert begins at 4:00 PM at Stanford
University's Frost Amphitheater. Tickets are available at www.chconline.org or by
calling 650-326-0643.

STANFORD SUMMER JAZZ CAMP

The Jim Cullum Jazz Band is once again on the faculty of the Stanford Summer Jazz
Camp at Stanford University, Palo Alto, CA. The annual Camp, this year held July 22
through August 2, is for jazz instrumental and vocal students between the ages of
12 and 17 and is part of the Stanford Jazz Workshop.

Jazz Camp offers young musicians a comprehensive experience of jazz music in a
challenging and supportive setting. Students play and study jazz with other young
players and a faculty of other professional musicians. Classes include theory,
musicianship, jazz history, jazz ensemble playing and private lessons. Participants
develop skills useful in many musical genres

To enroll your jazz student, here is the contact information:

Email: info@stanfordjazz.org

Write: Stanford Jazz Workshop, P.O. Box 20454, Stanford, CA 94309

Call: 650.736.0324

Fax: 650.856.4155

RIVERWALK ON THE WEB

Riverwalk's presence in cyberspace is growing.

In addition to our award-winning website at www.riverwalk.org (online since 1995),
Riverwalk JazzNotes® content is featured regularly on Public Radio websites
nationally through Public Arts, a service of Public Interactive. To see an example
of a Riverwalk national web feature, visit the Public Arts Jazz section on the
South Carolina Educational Radio Network (SCERN) website.

http://www.publicbroadcasting.net/scern/arts.artsmain?action=viewArticle&id=360450&
pid=1036&sid=3

To explore the Riverwalk JazzNotes® archives on our website, go to
www.riverwalk.org and click on the drop-down menu on the home page.

You can hear Riverwalk streamed through your computer's speakers. Many Public Radio
stations are now streaming their signal live on the web.  Here is a page with all
the information on accessing Riverwalk streaming:

http://www.riverwalk.org/audionet.htm

Simply click on the link to each station at the time Riverwalk is aired.

Coming soon! 5-minute audio samples of Riverwalk shows archived and on-demand. The
links will appear on the JazzNotes® pages. Watch the Jazz Me News for further
developments.

NEW RIVERWALK LISTENERS POLL

It's time to vote for your favorite Riverwalk shows and performers in our
bi-monthly Riverwalk Listeners Poll.

http://www.misterpoll.com/poll.wga?id=3696458478

To help you remember, here's more information on the shows and guest performers.

http://www.riverwalk.org/proglist/proglist2002.htm

http://www.riverwalk.org/profiles/rwgalery.htm

Your opinions are very valuable to us. Once again, let your voice be heard! If you
have comments about specific shows or guests, please email them to me at
mophandl@landing.com. I'll publish a list of previous poll winners in the next
issue.

UPCOMING TRAVELS:  The Jim Cullum Jazz Band appears Monday through Saturday nights
beginning at 8:30 PM at the Landing in San Antonio except for highlighted dates
below.

July Events

17 Lincoln Center Midsummer Night Swing (Dance Party), New York, NY with Dick
Hyman.

18 40th Anniversary Concert with Dick Hyman, Terry Burrell, and Bob Barnard, Tisch
Center for the Performing Arts, 92nd Street Y, 1395 Lexington Ave., New York, NY
(941) 473-2787

19-20 The JCJB is out of town tonight.

21 Benefit Concert for Northern California's Children's Health Council, 4:00 PM at
Stanford University's Frost Amphitheater. Tickets are available at
www.chconline.org or by calling 650-326-0643.

Riverwalk Taping: Stanford Jazz Festival, 7:30 PM, Dinkelspiel Auditorium, Braun
Music Center, Stanford University, Stanford, CA. Tickets will be available at the
door. For advance tickets, purchases and information call 650-725-ARTS, Stanford's
public events line at 650-723-2551, or Stanford's general number 650-723-6500.

22-24 The Jim Cullum Jazz Band is on the faculty of the Stanford Summer Jazz Camp.

25-27 The JCJB is out of town tonight

28 Private Party, Woodside, CA

29-31 The Jim Cullum Jazz Band is on the faculty of the Stanford Summer Jazz Camp.

August Events

1-2 The JCJB is on the faculty of the Stanford Summer Jazz Camp.

3 The JCJB plays at the Landing tonight.

5-6 The JCJB is off tonight.

11 JCJB Jazz Mass: First Presbyterian Church, Kerrville, TX, 7:00 PM.

 To find out when the JCJB is coming to your town in 2002, go to the JCJB Touring
Itinerary page.

UPCOMING ON RIVERWALK, LIVE FROM THE LANDING

27 7/4 Louis Armstrong: A Portrait of the Man and His Music Armstrong's personal
writings brought to life by Broadway star Vernel Bagneris with music by The Jim
Cullum Jazz Band.

28 7/11 The Preservation Hall Story: Hot Jazz in New Orleans The Jim Cullum Jazz
Band revives the spirit and music of Preservation Hall in New Orleans and tells the
story of how it all began.

29 7/18 Richard Rodgers 100th Birthday Bash The Jim Cullum Jazz Band and special
guest vocalist Nina Ferro honor the centennial birthday of Richard Rodgers, one of
the most successful songwriters of the twentieth century.

30 7/25 The Jim Cullum Jazz Band Turns 40 Celebrate The Jim Cullum Jazz Band's 40th
anniversary with interviews and performances of some of their favorite classics
from the jazz age.