[Fwd: Re: [Dixielandjazz] Re: British trad (was OKOM Reviews)]

Henry B. Stinson HenryStinson@earthlink.net, JazzHarmonicat@hotmail.com
Mon, 01 Jul 2002 01:48:24 -0400

Bill Haesler wrote:

> Jazz, Chicago Jazz, Eddie Condon style Jazz, & San Francisco Jazz.  I would add
> to this British Trad Jazz.<
> Shaky ground there me old mate.    8>)
> What about Australian New Orleans and trad jazz, Canadian New Orleans and trad

etc...

>From what I've read over the years,  when different countries
-- or different bands in each --  attempt to play the sound of
American "trad jazz", they add their own flavor, and the flavors,
the sound and style seem to generally come out quite different
from the original.  Sometimes better in a way, and in some cases
not pleasing to those steeped in familiarity with the original styles.
Still, jazz is evolving, and even the trad jazz styles continue to
evolve.
(Is it like an oxymoron to say the latter?)

--
Henry Stinson, BSECE, Website Developer and Software Engineer (Visual
Basic)