[Dixielandjazz] Miles Davis

Dave Hanson davehanson@mindspring.com
Mon, 30 Dec 2002 13:12:52 -0500

------=_NextPart_000_000F_01C2B005.28F587E0

I've enjoyed the comments concerning Miles Davis, and I have listened to =
his work beginning in the fifties (Early Miles) to his death.
I saw him several times in live performance where he turned his back on =
the audience, demanded total silence when playing, would stop in the =
middle of a tune and often berated customers from the stage. I often =
wondered why a performer of his caliber would resort to behavior like =
that, but when the world was informed that he beat his wife (Cicely =
Tyson) and put her in the hospital, resulting in a divorce, it became =
clear. Miles was a sick guy !

His style of playing in his later years changed as he became "cool", but =
his work with arraigner Gil Evans is hard to beat.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Dave Hanson
Trombone
Atlanta

=20

------=_NextPart_000_000F_01C2B005.28F587E0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Dwindows-1252">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS">I've enjoyed the comments concerning =
Miles=20
Davis, and I have listened to his work beginning in the&nbsp;fifties =
(Early=20
Miles) to his death.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS">I saw him several times in live =
performance=20
where he turned his back on the audience, demanded total silence=20
when&nbsp;playing, would stop in the middle of a tune&nbsp;and often =
berated=20
customers from the stage. I often wondered why a performer of his =
caliber would=20
resort to behavior like that, but when the world was informed that he =
beat his=20
wife (Cicely Tyson) and put her in the hospital, resulting in a divorce, =
it=20
became clear. Miles was a sick guy !</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS"></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS">His style of playing in his later =
years changed=20
as he became "cool", but his work with arraigner Gil Evans is hard to=20
beat.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS"></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS">Just my 2 cents worth.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS"></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS">Dave Hanson</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS">Trombone</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS">Atlanta</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Comic Sans MS"></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_000F_01C2B005.28F587E0--