[Dixielandjazz] Re: Happy Every Day -- and the Holy-daze, too

PLadd36932@aol.com PLadd36932@aol.com
Mon, 30 Dec 2002 13:16:31 EST

In a message dated 29/12/02 21:50:32 GMT Standard Time, Jazzjerry@aol.com
writes:

<<  But the main point is that my use of the word "pantomime" to describe
 street

 performers in whiteface was perfectly correct. >>

Wow Bill,

I seemed to have let the genie out of the bottle with my innocent comment. I
have just read all the posts after being off line for a couple of days.

Everyone seems to have put their five eggs in and I would only add although
mime and pantomime seem to have been basically a `dumb show` in historical
time (Roman) in the UK the two have been separated for a long time.
Street theatre and `whiteface` are absolutely nothing to do with `panto`.

None of the various listers who contributed to this highly intellectual
discussion mentioned the fact that panto leads are likely to be top stars of
the theatre or tv these days or that a pantomime Dame,(played by a man) can
put on  a virtuoso performance. Thus one could say `I remenber Terry Scotts
Widow Twankey` in the same way as `I remember Oliviers Hamlet`.

There is always a `transformation scene`. This is put on with full theatrical
effect with all the trimmings to change the scene to say, The Ogres Castle in
Jack and the Beanstalk or Cinderellas scene when she goes to the ball.
Unfortunately there has been a tendency to introduce top bands and singers(?)
from the charts to appeal to the younger part of the audience but there are
always the double entendre jokes and the legs of the  leading man (played by
a girl) to keep the older section happy.

I am looking forward to takiing my granchildren to see Dick Whittington next
week , an amateur production, and Cinderella, produced professionally in
February.
Best of both worlds.
Oh no its not!
Oh yes it is!