[Dixielandjazz] Re: Happy Every Day -- and the Holy-daze, too

James Kashishian kash@ran.es
Sun, 29 Dec 2002 20:22:48 +0100

Pat Ladd, British to the core, writes
>Sorry ., I forgot that American culture does not include pantomime.

And, Bill answered:
>Not true, dude! You can go to any tourist gathering place such as
Fisherman's Wharf in San Francisco or Times Square in New York and see
budding pantomimers in their white faced get-ups doing their favorite
pantomime schtick

I didn't read the beginning of all this, but I suspect that Pat is
referring to the pecular necessity every Brit seems to have for
attending a local theater (sorry, theatre) at Christmastime to watch all
the locals bounding around the stage, trying their bit at acting &
(horrors!) singing.  At least one man will always be dressed as a lady,
which I find a bit curious, as the Brits are a real macho crowd
generally, but they seem to fight for the roll of the buxom blond!

The closest thing we have in the U.S. to this carry on is the old
melodrama shows, and that, by the way is how I started my career with
Dixieland.  The South Frisco Jazz Band first played weekends for a
melodrama (the bad guy wanting the farm so his train tracks could go
through it!) while I was still in High School.  That was near Huntington
Beach, CA, in 1957.

Jim