[Dixielandjazz] A vicious attack

David Richoux tubaman@batnet.com
Sat, 21 Dec 2002 20:51:23 -0800

On Saturday, December 21, 2002, at 08:06 PM, Bill Gunter wrote:

> Hi Jim, and all,
>
> Wow . . . ! Is that ever a hoot.
agreed - there is nothing like a witty English writer on a full-tilt
boogie...

check out http://www.anorak.co.uk/  (from what I can see of that site
it is a bit like The Onion - satirical and a bit nasty fun) the author
also did this http://www.chortle.co.uk/features/satire.html

> I think the writer is a bit over the top, but the concept (trad jazz
> is for us old farts and that's about it) is probably quite true.

I also think it is good to remember that "modern jazz" (at least Post
BeBop) is also well over half a century old and "rock" is not much
younger but a trad band in the right situation can still offer a lot of
fun and "good" music to a wide ranging age  audience. I don't think we
will be getting many gigs in the latest trendy nightclubs but I have
played in some San Francisco music halls that also present extremely
"avant-garde" acts on other evenings.

We also play those store openings, political rallies, and miscellaneous
  what-evers that seem to come up (at the request of the organizers) and
usually do something worthwhile.

Dave Richoux  "And That's Jazz"  etc., etc, etc