[Dixielandjazz] Shakespeare and the lawyers

Anton Crouch a.crouch@unsw.edu.au
Thu, 19 Dec 2002 01:39:23 +1100

Hello all

Don Ingle's mentions the well known "first we kill the lawyers", and its
attribution to Shakespeare. We all think we understand the feelings
expressed by these words but what is really intriguing is that, in the
words' original context, the meaning is not at all straightforward.

The reference is King Henry the sixth, part 2, Act 4, scene 2, 86 and the
actual words are "The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers".

The words are spoken by Dick, the butcher, as part of a commentary on the
rantings of the Kentish rebel, Cade. Dick is being satirical and Cade's
espousal of the idea can be seen as Shakespeare telling us that lawyers are
one of the barriers against the breakdown of civil order.

What do the lawyers on our list think? - and no jokes about "thinking
lawyers" being an oxymoron, please   :-)

All the best
Anton