[Dixielandjazz] Shakespeare and the lawyers

Dan Augustine ds.augustine@mail.utexas.edu
Wed, 18 Dec 2002 09:05:14 -0600

>From: Anton Crouch <a.crouch@unsw.edu.au>
>Subject: [Dixielandjazz] Shakespeare and the lawyers
>Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2002 01:39:23 +1100
>
>Hello all
>
>Don Ingle's mentions the well known "first we kill the lawyers", and its
>attribution to Shakespeare. We all think we understand the feelings
>expressed by these words but what is really intriguing is that, in the
>words' original context, the meaning is not at all straightforward.
>
>The reference is King Henry the sixth, part 2, Act 4, scene 2, 86 and the
>actual words are "The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers".
>
>The words are spoken by Dick, the butcher, as part of a commentary on the
>rantings of the Kentish rebel, Cade. Dick is being satirical and Cade's
>espousal of the idea can be seen as Shakespeare telling us that lawyers are
>one of the barriers against the breakdown of civil order.
>
>What do the lawyers on our list think? - and no jokes about "thinking
>lawyers" being an oxymoron, please   :-)
>
>All the best
>Anton
    Well, i'm not a lawyer, nor do i play one on TV, but my brother is a lawyer ("One skilled in circumvention of the law."--Ambrose Bierce).  However, he doesn't practice law (he's in the U. S. Embassy in Vienna).
    So that allows me to ask: what OKOM songs are there relating to laws, lawyers, or legal matters?  Isn't there a Hoagy Carmichael song "DOCTOR, LAWYER, INDIAN CHIEF"?  Any others?  What key should a lawyer song be in?  (Talk about a setup; there's gotta be a snapper for that.)

    Dan
--
** Dan Augustine - ds.augustine@mail.utexas.edu             **